Sunday, January 29, 2012

{ c.r.e.a.t.e } Oatmeal Canister Lends a Hand

This week, I was about to throw away an empty oatmeal canister... again. I wonder if I'm the only person who feels guilty throwing one of these bad boys in the recycle bin. There just aren't that many containers in this size and shape, and I know that I could put these things to use somehow. Well, it hit me this time. We desperately needed some extra storage for all of Lily's small toys that she accumulated this past Christmas, but it had to be something that didn't take up too much space - and this container was it. As is the norm when an idea hits me, I dropped everything else (I'm sure I was on my way out to throw out the trash and recyclables), and got together a few things to beautify the container into a small toy storage bin for all of those run-away toys.


You'll Need:
  • empty oatmeal canister (any type of container should work)
  • scrapbook paper
  • Mod Podge glue/sealant
  • foam brush
  • tape
  • embellishments, stickers, etc. (optional)
Ready? Go!

1. Size up your scrapbook paper to your container and cut to size. The paper may or may not wrap completely around the canister. Mine didn't, but since the paper I chose had vertical stripes, the exposed area blended perfectly with the paper. It looked like just another white stripe on the paper. Personally, I wouldn't have minded even if it was more obvious. It's a house for toys.

2. Using the foam brush, apply a thin layer to the entire outer surface of the canister.

3. Starting at the vertical crease of your container (if there is one), line up one straight edge of your paper and press it against the canister. Slowly do this as you go around the entire canister, making sure to press out any air bubbles.

4. Back to the foam brush and Mod Podge. Apply one last thin layer around the entire surface of your new canister and allow to dry (about 15 minutes). Tape down any paper edges for reinforcement.

5. Get creative! You can add stickers, little pom-poms, scrapbook embellishments, glitter... anything! Just remember what the purpose of your canister is and determine whether or not the extra embellishments will be secure enough and able to withstand lots of human contact (unless it's for decorative purposes).

I just happened to have this long sticker sitting in a drawer.
I used it to reinforce the bottom edge of the paper to the canister.
Couldn't have matched it up better if I tried!

Here's the top...

So there it is. Super duper easy and I used things that I already had on hand, which is always awesome. I had the alphabet stickers for a few years and got them from the Target dollar section (my weakness, my love). I got the paper from Michael's over the summer for a Father's Day craft and am sure it was on sale 5 for $1.00. The foam brushes came in a pack of 3 for $1.00 at our grocery store. So aside from the Mod Podge, if I had to run out and get the supplies, it would basically cost the equivalent of a latte. I'm happy with that!

Hmmm... already thinking of other ideas for the next victim empty canister.

No comments:

Post a Comment